There has been an influx of ads pitching heartburn relief drugs recently. The ads make heartburn seem like a simple problem with a simple solution. But medication is never a simple solution. Dr. Smith is concerned about the upswing in the use of these drugs — which may have potentially dangerous side effects.
All-Natural Heartburn Relief. Following are some important prevention-oriented tips advocated by doctors of chiropractic:
- Lose some weight.
- Eat small meals and eat slowly.
- Elevate the head of your bed to keep your esophagus higher than your stomach.
- Don’t lie down two to three hours after you eat.
- Keep a food journal looking for common culprits such as fatty or fried food, alcohol, chocolate, peppermint, garlic, onion, tomatoes, caffeine and nicotine.
- Try a high-fiber, low-fat diet.
Visit the Chiropractor. Chiropractors use gentle, effective and safe maneuvers called chiropractic adjustments to remove spinal subluxations, allowing your body to function at optimal capacity.
In addition, the science of chiropractic upholds that the causes of patients’ complaints must be addressed, not just their symptoms. So, if you have heartburn, chiropractic care will work to unearth the source of your disorder.