You may have heard the term “probiotics” lately. Probiotics are bacteria with the potential to provide profound health benefits. Dr. Smith confirms that these “good bacteria” can play starring roles in your picture of optimal health.
There’s a battle going on in your body, every minute of every day. As part of our immune system, millions of microscopic bacteria constantly defend your body. According to Dr. Smith, the balance between the white hats — good bacteria, or probiotics — and the black hats — disease-causing pathogens and viruses — is surprisingly delicate.
The World Health Organization defines probiotics as “live organisms which when administered in adequate amounts confer a health benefit on the host.” Dr. Smith agrees that science has proven that common types of bacteria can bestow myriad advantages.
The “short list” of the positive effects of probiotics includes:
- Reduction of cancer-promoting gut enzymes
- Prevention of respiratory tract infections
- Relief from gastrointestinal (GI) inflammation and related diseases
- Prevention and relief of diarrhea and constipation
- Prevention of allergies
- Alleviation of lactose intolerance
- Treatment of urogenital infections
Ask us for more information today about good bacteria, and find out how to use them alongside chiropractic care to become an altogether healthier you!