Restful sleep is the cornerstone of good health — a time when our minds and bodies rejuvenate and prepare for the day ahead. Yet, for many individuals, “catching some Z’s” is easier said than done.
Why do people have trouble getting ample shut eye? Chiropractors, like Dr. Smith, believe that high-stress lifestyles and over-loaded schedules are major factors in the current insomnia epidemic.
What lifestyle changes can you make to conquer sleep problems? Here are several suggestions based on the most current scientific research:
- Exercise every day.
- Maintain a healthful diet.
- Keep a consistent sleep schedule
- Explore stress-reduction techniques.
- Listen to relaxing music.
- Develop a stress-reduction plan.
- Use the curry spice turmeric in cooking whenever possible.
- Don’t watch television, read, eat or work in bed.
- If you smoke, quit.
- Consider natural supplements.
- Try eating a food high in starch within one hour of bedtime.
- Only nap if it is part of your regular routine.
- Eliminate intake of refined sugar and caffeine.
- Limit alcohol intake.
- Watch out for stimulants in over-the-counter medications.
- Maintain regular chiropractic care.
Committing to a healthy, well-balance lifestyle can ease most cases on insomnia. That means re-evaluating your lifestyle. This often involves making some major changes, which may be challenging. But your health is worth it.